Sunday, May 10, 2020

Candles...

How do you reconcile when the candles that are (supposed to be) on your cake do not match the number you feel in your head, your heart, and/or how you feel in your skin?

Age is an odd thing...

In your youth, you have metabolism & wrinkle-free skin on your side. With age come wisdom & wrinkles along with experience & life lessons gained easily and through trials.

Yesterday, I had an AMAZING birthday. I would even say it was in my top four best birthdays of all time. Due to COVID-19, we all have had to adapt, adjust & redefine our 'norm.' I did not lower my expectations for my birthday observance this year, I just changed them...and that flexible pivot allowed my heart to be open & soar, basking in the beautiful unfolding that happened throughout the day. I was showered with an outpouring of love, generosity and celebration. I was engulfed by a sense of contentment, peace & joy that was overwhelming, hard to explain, and frankly took me by surprise; like the heartfelt glee & wonder watching a butterfly fly and then gently land. I was intentional and in the moment with the people I was 'with,' whether it was virtual or socially distant. I felt a chapter close and a new one open, waiting to be discovered & written.

Next year brings with it a candle that signifies a major milestone birthday for me. I am not going to be anxious or fret when that one little candle is added. Throughout the past couple of weeks, my perspective has shifted, per se, and allowed healing, love, hope, peace & joy to take up residence in my heart. It is as if all the seeds that have been planted throughout the years are finally starting to bloom. As a result, I am excited for the upcoming year and believe it will be my best one yet. After all, a candle is just a candle.     

No comments:

Post a Comment