Thursday, November 2, 2017

Waffling...

A college advisor once told me that my inability or unwillingness to make a decision was actually a decision.  He said that I was afraid of making the wrong decision so I did not make a decision.  My only decision was to perch on the fence of indecisiveness.    
I have a knack to see both sides of the coin or ability to weigh all of my options (and weigh and weigh...).  The problem comes when I have to pull the trigger, getting stuck in the process on which way to go. I would have such a hard deciding what to eat when going out to dinner with my former roommate that I started ordering whatever she got to avoid food envy, second-guessing and order regret.  Again, fear of making the wrong decision.

Changing the lens, per se, is there really a "wrong" decision??!?  The majority of the time we are not contemplating life and death situations or decisions; usually just good, better or best options. 

Chatting with a friend in a cool coffee/waffle & chicken cafe in Austin, the idea of waffling popped into my mind. (Isn't it amazing and funny where we draw our inspiration; sometimes it comes from an obscure source and sometimes it's glaringly obvious).  Having recently made a major, life-altering and life-giving decision, I know all too well the idea, experience, stress and effects of waffling.  I went back and forth on this decision for several months.  Well, to be exact, I made the decision several months ago but waffled on the timing of my execution.  As mentioned above, fear is usually the biggest culprit of keeping us in that confusing and perplexing state of analysis paralysis. Facing fear head on, however, and making a pros-and-cons list while imagining potential worst-case scenarios releases fear's grip on us, especially when we realize in all reality that most of our conceived 'doom & gloom' outcomes will not happen. We are then able to move forward toward our decision and embrace "what could be," regardless of right or wrong.

By the way, the photo...salad with waffle croutons?  That's an easy decision - yes, please!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment