Wednesday, November 15, 2017

A Journey in the Desert...

Obedience...waiting...leaning & pressing in...trusting...desert & wilderness...

An elementary school teacher taught us a trick to remember the spelling difference between dessert and desert.  She asked "Which would you want more of?  That is the one with the extra 's'."  Brilliant!  More dessert please because who would want more of the desert, of wandering, heat that feels like fire, and thirst?!?  As I got older, however, I noticed and realized that, while yes there are mirages of doubt, sometimes a false sense of security, the unknown, decisions made in desperation and a state of lostness in the desert, there is also a sense of clarity, a getting back to the basics and bare necessities, prioritization, and even an obedience for our own good that abounds in the wilderness.  

In three messages I recently heard, the Israelites' encounter with the Red Sea on their desert journey from Egypt to the Promised Land was referenced. This reminded me of my recent trek into the desert on the way to my own Promised Land, and the obedience it required. 

Many times, especially in my case, the obedience God calls us to does not make sense on paper, to the world, or even to us. It can be scary, the journey long, and you can feel as if your time in the wilderness or desert will never end.  Christians, however, are called to be in the world but not of the world; we are called to be salt and light, and that light, when emitted, can shine on and drown out the darkness of fear and doubt.

I looked up the definition of obedience and the definition I found read and sounded harsh and submissive, however when I 'Googled' obedience, "obedience to God" was the second option or result. I scrolled further down the results page and found a website with 22 verses on the topic of obedience (biblestudytools.com), another site (thoughtco.com/obedience-to-god) listed eight reasons why we should be obedient to God, ranging from "obedience to God proves our love to Him (1 John 5:2-3); demonstrates our faithfulness to Him (1 John 2:3-6); glorifies Him in the world (1 Peter 2:12); opens avenues of blessing for us (John 13:17); to even being a form of worship (Romans 12:1)." Yet a third site stated that "obedience works so much better when love is involved - both on the receiving and giving; that when we obey the Lord, we can live a life of joy."

Wait a minute..."We obey His commands, not because we have to but because we want to, because we love Him." Drop the mic and cue the tears. That definition resonated so much more with me than the harsh one I initially read, especially in light of a recent decision. I recently stepped out in obedience, in reverence and awe, because of my love for God and because I know He loves me and only has the best plans for me. I did this, not because I had to, not because He is some tyrannical being who wants to suppress me; no, that would be the enemy.  In taking that step of obedience, God's provision, protection, and blessings have been bountiful.

In writing those words, I'm reminded of Abraham and how God called him to sacrifice his long-awaited, long-promised, and deeply loved son, Isaac. Despite his immense fatherly love for Isaac, Abraham loved God first and foremost so he was obedient. When Abraham took a step of obedience and put his son on the sacrificial altar, he was blessed and called righteous by God (Wow!).  God intervened and provided an alternative sacrifice in the form of a ram (foreshadowing, per se, to Jesus??).  God wanted to see if Abraham would be obedient, not as a test of his actions or will, but as an examination of his heart.

So, dear friends, where is God calling you to obedience and what is he asking you to put on the altar?  I speak from experience when I say, do not tiptoe but run and cannonball into that obedience.  It will require some leaning & pressing in, a lot of trust, and probably some waiting but God's loving hands will be there to catch you and it is such a sweet, sweet landing! The only thing I regret is not taking that leap of faith and obedience sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment