Saturday, August 24, 2013

One Scoop or Two...

While taking in the sights and various bites of sugary heaven recently at the Austin Ice Festival, my "aha moment" came in the form of a crunchy waffle cone filled with sweet frozen vanilla custard goodness.

That cone and its contents evoked a profound thought and revelation.  In life, one scoop is never enough, we want a second scoop.  The first bite or scoop was so good, we want more...sometimes we sign up for the extra helping before even trying the first because we anticipate the first being so good that we "plan ahead," "save time," and "indulge a little...if just this once."  

However have you noticed...the first bite is always the best?  That, when we splurge, indulge, and ignore that 'little voice' to throw caution to the wind that we usually feel disappointment, regret and an emptiness in the extended experience?  That, overindulgence in anything eventually and predictably leaves us with discomfort, dissatisfaction, and remorse?  How many times have you said to yourself "I should have stopped while I was ahead!" or "I shouldn't have taken that second _______ (fill in the blank with your weakness or Kryptonite)!" ?  We've all said that to ourselves at one time or another...I know I have and unfortunately too many times to count.  You'd think we would learn but we rarely do...and if we do, it usually takes A LOT longer than it should.

The saying "less is more" pops into my mind and that phrase rings so true for a reason! Going forward, I am going to take one scoop and be content with what I have; live in the moment versus the future and savor my one scoop...per se

No comments:

Post a Comment